Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dealing with Don'tWannaItis, Part 2

Last week I told you that I suffer from don'twannaitis.

I also shared one of the cures that I have found for it:  curling up on the bed and taking a short nap.

Today I want to share the other thing that has helped me to get things done when I have don'twannaitis:  just doing the next thing.

I always know what the next thing is because I have set a routine in place.  I know what load of laundry I'm washing, I know what room in the house needs to be cleaned, and I know which household prep item has to be done.  I have a menu for dinner and I know what days we go to church and I will need to iron clothes.

I don't like schedules, because I have found that life doesn't always hold true to a specific time frame.  But I love routines, knowing what is going to happen next.

When I am feeling tired and sluggish, it quickly leads to being overwhelmed.  I can't tell you how many time I've stood in the middle of a messy room and thought to myself "I don't even know where to start".

When this happens, I stop, breath and think:  What day is this?  What do I have planned for today?"  Then, I can go and do it, knowing that item is what my next thing is.

Knowing what the next thing is helps to alleviate any guilt, helps you to focus on one specific thing, and gives a sense of accomplishment when you are finished with that item and you know that you accomplished exactly what you were supposed to.

Next week I'll share what some of my routines are.

No comments:

Post a Comment