Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Our School Room ("Not" Back to School Blog Hop)

Hi!  Welcome to the Preschool Plan!  I'm so glad that you stopped by for a visit to check out our school room.

I am so excited to show you our room, because it's brand new!!!  We just moved into this house in May, and one of the main reasons that we picked this house is because of the school room.

Actually, though, we call it the Library, because that's what is was called on the blueprint ;)

Let me give you a little background, first.

My oldest son, Tyler, is ten.  He has Asperger's, and this will be our third year "schooling-at-home" using an online virtual public school.

The last house that we were in, the playroom was also the schoolroom, and since Tyler has two little brothers who are six and eight years younger than him, it didn't work real well.  So, when we house-hunted, a place that would be specifically dedicated to school and the computer was essential.

So, we were so thrilled when we found this house.

The Library is just inside the front door, and it's very open, so we feel comfortable having our computers here.
Open window cut out and open door cut out

However, it's separate from the rest of the house, so Tyler will be able to do his schoolwork on the computer and the boys will be able to be occupied elsewhere.  I can even put up a baby gate, if necessary.

See, the rest of the house is down that hall
One of my plans for keeping the boys out of Tyler's hair, though, is to keep the boys busy.  Thus, The Preschool Plan.  I will be teaching Jason, age 4, preschool here at home this year, and Justin, age 2, will be tagging along.

So, how does all of that translate into our school room?

Well, after much deliberation, I decided to turn the Library into a school room for everyone, not just Tyler, not just the boys.

So, here it is:
To the left of the doorway.  My dry-erase board, and the littles' alphabet wall chart and numbers wall chart.  The bookshelf was built by my husband in high school.  On the top shelf, in the oatmeal box is Tyler's daily assignment folders.  The two purple cups are used for his OT activities.  The clipboards are for anyone to grab and use, as needed.  They are great when working at the computer.  The plastic bins contain Tyler's schoolbooks by subject.  Our paltry collection of books is on the bottom shelf. 
Next on the wall is a multiplication tables chart.
These are our two computers.  One was a Christmas gift from my mom, one is from Tyler's school.  The black desk was a freebie from Katelyn's school, the other desk is on permanent loan from a good friend.  As you can see, we have very sophisticated seating, too.  Up on the wall is our clock, our Pledge of Allegiance poster and our Pledge to the Bible poster.
To the right of the doorway (across from the computers) are the littles' desks, more freebies from Katelyn's school.  The filing cabinet holds most of my supplies.  That was a freebie from a house down the street.  On top of the cabinet is our paper supply, our CD box, and my lesson guides for Tyler's coursework.

My thought it that the boys can work at their desks during times when Tyler is not working on the computer, or when they can all practice working nicely together (which does occasionally happen.)

But, learning won't occur only here.

The boys and I, Tyler included, while be doing lots of our projects here at the kitchen table.


Our couch is where we do all of our reading together.

Basket of library books easily accessible

And here is where a lot of learning happens, too.


Finally, here is a picture of one of my many closets (did I mention that I love this house?)  I have the little boys' toys down where they can reach them, along with their puzzles and games.  The older kids' stuff is higher.

You can see that I spend lots of money on organization supplies, lol.

So, that's our school room.  Thanks so much for stopping by.  Feel free to come again some time.  Next week, we're serving cookies!

This post is part of the "Not" Back-to-School Blog Hop, being hosted by iHomeschool Network.  I looked at a bunch of schoolrooms from last year's hop and was so inspired, so I'm excited to be part of it this year.  Hop on over and drool over all the great school rooms

Not Back to School Blog Hop


No comments:

Post a Comment